Do you make music and wish you could hear it through a club or amplified sound system?
Playback creates a space for music makers to hear their works on an amplified sound system in a supportive and educational setting.
Many music makers don't get the opportunity to hear how their sounds will translate in final environments such as clubs, cinemas, or under heavy amplification. This is because access to larger systems, such as those found in clubs, are hard to come by. Playback aims to bring this opportunity to the Melbourne music community whilst facilitating the opportunity to share with, learn from, and connect with peers.
Anyone is welcome to submit a track to Playback. We welcome music makers of all abilities, genres, and backgrounds to the program. Even if you are not submitting music we welcome you to join a session to see what it's all about or support a friend.
Our aim is to lift the community and allow music makers to improve their practice by listening in a new environment.
First Wednesday of each month, March-June 2023
Gasometer Hotel, Collingwood
The process is simple:
Upload your tracks using the form below.
- We’ll collate all the submissions and let you know via email when your track will be played.
- Come along, bring some friends, and hear your track on a club system!
Submissions are closed for now as we prepare for our 2023 season. The below link will reactivate when submissions are reopened.
For any questions, suggestions, or a friendly hello, contact us via email here:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I bring a friend along?
2. Can I change a track once it's submitted?
Yes - please email us the new file at least 48 hours before the event.
3. Does Playback claim any copyright over my track if they’re played?
We don't claim any copyright over your tracks. They are always owned by you.
4. How do I know if and when my track will be played back?
We will send you an email around a week ahead of an event to confirm your attendance and let you know that your track will be played back.
5. “My track is still unfinished, do i need to finish it before sending it to Playback?”
No - We love to hear a work in progress and it can be helpfull to hear your track at all stages of the process.